Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving: family, turkey trot, a puppy and more running.

Dave's parents come up for the weekend and brought their new puppy, Charley, with them. My father in law surprised my mother in law with Charley last May for her birthday. Let's just say, initially, the surprise did not make her very happy. It didn't take long for Charley to win her over.

Who could resist this face? He is a very sweet puppy and he's perfect for them.

Thanksgiving morning, Dave, Kathleen, Laura, our friend Cindy and I headed to downtown San Jose for our local Turkey Trot. I ran the 10K and the rest of the crew ran the 5K. This is a big race, I think 21,000 people who walk, stroll, run, race, push strollers, bring dogs, dress in costume and everything in between. It's quite festive and you just have to go with the flow.

Cindy, Dave, me, Kathleen and Laura

The good part about this race is the 10K starts 25 min before the 5K so we would all be done about the same time. I'm not sure who started it but Kathleen and I challenged each other to finish first.  I'm competitive enough to like a little challenge so I worked my way towards the front of the start line to bypass some of the 'social' 10K folks and then tried to maintain a good pace throughout the race to try to finish before my 5K girls. I knew Cindy and Dave could finish ahead of me :) I was trying to get in under an hour and just missed it! I stopped my Garmin when I hit the mass of people (did I mention there were 21,000 people racing?) at the finish line but I think I only had about 5 seconds to go before I would of crossed the finish line. My unofficial time was 1:00:13, my best 10K time so far! 

We had some of the family over for Thanksgiving dinner and afterwards went to my sisters for dessert. Friday we decided to buck tradition and made margaritas. 

Yum!

Saturday we celebrated Stephen's birthday with a sushi dinner. I can't believe my baby boy is 25!

Tomorrow, I'll wrap up the weekend with my long run of the week. I'm in the middle of a lot of run training which leads me to another thing that takes up a lot of my time........


No comments:

Post a Comment