Monday, December 12, 2011

WW, hockey, Horsecam, happy birds and a long run.

It's been a fun but busy week. After getting back from Vegas on Tuesday I hit the ground running. With a quick stop at home to pick up Buddy the big black dog, we headed to the barn to meet my farrier, Scott. M had his hooves trimmed and he, surprisingly, was not fidgety even though he had the whole weekend off to think of ways to annoy Scott. I think since it's been so cold at night, Scott outsmarted him by trimming him in the sun so he went into a Vitamin D coma.

Wednesday I went out for a bike ride with my Wednesday Women cycling group. I love these girls! They are inspiring and motivating and have been a good push for me. I have to push to keep up! We rode a 44 mile loop and I think I'm having an easier time keeping up.

Dave and I bought a 10 pack of Sharks tickets this season with our friends, Ron and Louise. After a quick stop at Mondo Burrito for dinner we watched an exciting 5-2 Sharks win!

I took M out for a couple of trail rides this week. On Fridays, I try to plan a barn girl ride to explore a new park or at least a trail that isn't one of our regular spots. We have a lot of great trails so close to the barn but with time restrictions, we often ride the same 3-4 trails so it's nice to go out a little further. This week four of us went to Harvey Bear County Park. This hasn't been M's favorite park in the past because of many encounters with big herds of feral pigs when I took him there when he was younger. I think I scarred him! He's matured quite a bit but this park still brings the sassyness out. Luckily, this week was not one of them :) We rode by a lot of cows and quite a few babies. I think it's pretty cold at night for new babies and I thought it was kind of early in the year to put the bulls out but I guess not!
I always take a Horsecam picture through M or Rio's ears.

We rode up above the morning fog.
This was my first Horsecam shot a few years ago. I was out on a ride by myself, turned a corner and this was my view. I love the Fall!

I'm also easily amused so I had to take Horsecam on a trip. M's ears went to Vegas with me a few years ago and did some shopping at Cowboy Christmas :)

He even went to my book group.

About once a week I do a good clean up of the aviary and refill feeders. I like to tie millet around the branches to give them other places to find treats. They were all waiting for me to get out of there so they could go to town on the new food.

Saturday I went for my long run. Kathleen has been riding her bike with me to keep me company and get her workout in. She rides back and forth and it motivates me to keep running because I know she's going to be coming by at any time. I was scheduled to run 17 miles but I was done at 15.5. I think Kathleen rode 25 miles. With other things going on this week, I didn't prepare as well as I usually do. I like to plan a day off the day before to rest my legs and I'm usually careful about hydrating and eating well. That didn't happen this week and the run showed it. I was dragging the whole way. I got most of it in which I settled for. It was a good reminder of how important what I eat, drink and how much I rest affects these big workouts.

Buddy was tired after this week too. He would really prefer I take my stuff out of the backseat of the truck but he made do with using the step as a pillow. This dog can sleep anywhere!





2 comments:

  1. I had to go back and look at your schedule to figure out why you were running so long! :) Sounds like a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, some 20 mile weeks and a marathon coming up!

    ReplyDelete