Monday, March 12, 2012

South Bay Sprint Duathlon Race Report




When Dave and I signed up for this race, I looked at it as a fun, short, local race we could do so I could work on some specific things. With my first Ironman at the end of the year, I feel like this is the time to really get serious about this race business. Ok, not really totally serious because I'm all about having fun :) I guess for me I feel it's more time to work on some of the things that always nag at me after a race.

I made 3 goals for myself:

1) I'm a very conservative racer. I always want to make sure I have enough in reserve to finish a race so I feel like I hold back. Then the race is over and I'm a little disappointed in myself for feeling so good.
Goal-I want to feel trashed!

2) I had aero bars put on my bike last Fall and I love them but I haven't had many chances to use them in a race.
Goal- Stay in aero as much as possible.

3) My run pace is not always consistent in a race. I like to take walk breaks when I really don't need to and I like to talk myself into slowing down when I really don't need to.
Goal-maintain race pace.

This Du was a 2 mile run, 10 mile bike and 2 mile run. The run course was flat and the bike course was 2 loops, relatively flat and had one short but decent hill.

1st Run-started out at my pace and just paid attention to ME. I was able to stay consistent and it paid off because I passed people that had gone out too fast and were slowing down. I felt great going into T-1. Time-19:57. A 9:17 min/mile average.

Bike-I stayed in aero most of the time. I just came up for some of the turns but I felt really comfortable. My speed was ok, faster than normal and I think I could of pushed just a little more but overall I was happy. Time-37:39. A 15.8 mph average.

2nd Run-I made sure I didn't go out too fast with my warmed up legs and then settled into a good pace. I knew I was going faster than the first run and I felt like I could maintain it. I actually was passing people which is not normal for me :) I have to say, it felt pretty good. Time:19:07. A 8:51 min/mile average for this leg. Negative split! This was the first time I've ever been in the 8's for a race. Actually, it might of been the first time I've been in the 9's too!

I finished in 1:19:32, 7/14 in my AG. MOP is wonderful since I'm usually more of a BOP racer. No walking, consistent pace, stayed in aero and felt fairly trashed at the finish. Overall, one of my best races for settings goals and meeting them. So fun!

The best part was racing with family and friends. I can't figure out why more people don't do this stuff, it's so much fun!

Cindy (racing her first Du!), Mike (AG winner!), Dave and me.

Molly (AG winner!), Mary and me.

Now it's back to training and taking one day at a time.
Have a great week!
Johanne

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on such an awesome race! It was so nice to see you both again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!!!! And what awesome new paces you have!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had an awesome race. Always nice to surprise yourself...obviously your training is right on track.

    ReplyDelete